Friday, July 15, 2011

A Fun-Loving Philosophy


“SARAH! The brownies are burning again!” screamed my roommate Jenna from the other room as I lounged on the couch. Not my precious dark chocolate brownies! I sprung into action. These aren’t just any brownies. They are made from scratch and taste like I would imagine Kate Middleton served at her wedding. They are dreamy.
Our oven has a nasty habit of incinerating the outside of food while not even beginning to cook the inside. Result? Charred brownie crust with a gooey inside. Sad.
But that’s not the worst part—this was the third night in a row I baked brownies. My roommates and I ate every last one of them—I was their ringleader. This is funny, since I’m getting my master’s in nutrition.
Because of incidents like this, a typical conversation when I’m out with my roommates usually goes something like this:
Innocent person: “So is Sarah really healthy to live with because of her nutrition degree? Do you have to eat only healthy things all the time”
Jenna: “(Large amounts of laughter) Um NO, we made brownies three times last week!”
  I will be the first to admit that I’m not your average cookie cutter (no pun intended) dietitian. But there’s still a thing or two I can teach you about healthy eating. Let’s start with my philosophies.
Here are some suggestions for a healthy lifestyle: Moderation, variety, exercise and commitment. All of life should be moderate (probably brownies three times in a row isn’t the best example of this!). Variety means that the more you switch up the types of food you eat, the more variety of nutrients your body will receive. I think that goes along with the folktale that if you eat too many carrots you’ll turn orange!
Not only must you eat well, happy hearts need exercise. This all will take commitment. No “yo-yo” dieting! Healthy lifestyle must be just that, a lifestyle. You have to be in it for the long run. No one goes to bed one night a size 10 and wakes up the next morning a size 2, well, unless you’re Oprah! And just like you can’t perfect your blood pressure overnight, you can’t try to be healthy for a week and expect to be changed forever.  
 So what do these principles look like in everyday life? This brings me to the point of my blog.
My goal is to show you what 6 years of higher education in nutrition looks like in real life. Real people. Real problems. Real solutions.
 Whether you are a poor college student trying to be healthy, or a mother of four just trying to get food in their mouths, this blog is perfect for you! You will be walking with me as I plan, grocery shop, cook and try to make the best choices along the way.
So what do you say, will you join me? As my grandma used to say “try it, you might like it.” We may not be eating half a pan of brownies three nights in a row, but I promise it will be fun. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm on board! I could almost taste the brownies, though!!;-)

    ReplyDelete